Sunday 5 June 2016

#51 - Tributes (earlier post #38 of 21 May with subsequent additions)

This post, originally from 21 May, has become a little 'lost'  among subsequent ones so I am republishing it here. Included are tributes sent in since 21 May. 

Philip has been greatly touched by his friends' love, good wishes, sympathy and messages of appreciation for his life and work. He has asked that they be put on the blog. Because there is not time to contact you all for permission to quote you personally, I  have anonymised them. They are not in any particular order. 
·    "We are thinking of Philip and also you and your family at this time.".
·    "This comes with positive thoughts and secular prayers for you both, patient and carer.
·     "I wish to thank you, with Maureen, for your relentless effort and energy to improve the status of mental health - an advocate for those who suffer. It has been tough for you but you have kept on with determination and compassion. For myself and our small mental health community I acknowledge and appreciate your tireless effort over many years. Thank you, Philip."
·     "You are in our thoughts, Philip, and have our admiration for all the positive things you have done to improve life for people with mental illness."
· ·  "Thinking of you and what a wonderful advocate you are for mental health for all. Thanks for all you do."
·     "Philip was a friendly and inclusive person and very persistent  in his work for mental health and in the formation of Friends of Mt Painter. He will leave a big gap and I will miss seeing him on his shopping forays at the local shops and market."

··   "We are missing you at our meetings, thank you so much for inspiring us to get more involved through your extensive work and persistence to help people with mental health issues." 
··        "Philip, I thank you most sincerely for being you. It has been a real pleasure getting to know you over the past few years. Your encouragement and enthusiasm have inspired many of us....We were united in a valiant cause which will endure. May the good Lord watch over you and bring you peace and joy in your remaining days.”
·     "It has been a pleasure and privilege to know you, work with you these past 20 years or so. You have achieved much for Carers and Consumers, bloodied a few bureaucratic noses and given heart to our online membership. Rest assured we will carry on your good work, my Warrior Friend."
·     Addressed to both Philip and Maureen; "We are in awe at the task you have of navigating the complex health system and all the interpretations required to get some clarity on numerous issues. We are sorry that Philip is so seriously ill and we wish him some much needed good news and a respite and ease from his many symptoms..."
·     "I am so sorry to hear that Philip is not doing so well.  Please pass on our thoughts and well wishes to him.  He has done such a lot work and been so passionate for Mental Health reform and the cause of those with a mental illness both locally and nationally, hopefully we will see some positive outcomes this year from the work he has initiated especially on the closure of BHRC and other local issues.  We are thinking of Philip, you and all your family at this time."
·     "We want to express our very best sincere wishes to you both... We cannot pretend to know what trials you are going through. However please know that we have, are and will be thinking of you both in these testing times. We hope the future holds some good outcomes for you both. Our love is extended to you. Rest in peace."
·     "I can only echo other comments that have been made regarding his amazing spirit and seemingly endless inner strength as an example to all."
·     “I look forward to celebrating Philip's life. He was an inspiration to me and I told him so yesterday."
·      "To have my close family near, to have said what I wanted to say, to be in peaceful surroundings, and to go quickly at the end. I think it is what I would have wanted for myself."
·     "So sorry to hear of Philip's passing - he was always such an kind, energetic and enthusiastic person, and a wonderful neighbour."
·     I feel very sad to learn of the passing of Phillip. I must admit it was only recently I had contact via the Non Geeks but he impressed with friendliness and consideration of others."
·     "I loved working with you (in the Public Service) among all those (troubled) people. You helped me see things differently and gave me advice and strategies to help me cope with them. I have used it lots through the years and still do...I will never forget your support (in a personal matter). I can never thank you enough for your support and understanding or tell you how much it has meant... Thank you for being my friend, and for everything you have taught me and all the help, guidance, advice and assistance you have given me over the (many) years I have known you. I will continue to use it."
·     (From a school friend in the Junior Class of 1953 at St. Augustine's College) ."Even back then (in 1953) Philip was well respected an acknowledged for his academic prowess and being a genuinely decent fellow doing it a bit tough. I will remember Philip with great fondness for his friendship. Philip followed the College Motto "Tolle Lege", Take up and Read."
·    "Thanks Philip for inspiring so many people, including myself. You'll be greatly missed."
·    "He was a larger-than-life figure for me when we first met, and continued to be always so engaging."
·       "Despite all Philip's endeavours in life it was mostly family that we spoke of when we caught up.”
·       "We felt so moved by having Phillip call us last evening; I felt it was a gift to us.  Like our lovely daughter, he is facing death with not only courage but generosity.  Ghastly as cancer is, it can provide a person with the opportunity to prepare for the inevitable and to say 'goodbyes'.  As with her, there was not a scrap of self pity in Phillip's conversation.  I imagine in the 'wee small hours' there may be fear and anxiety and maybe even some anger but grasping all that life still offered seemed to be his and her driving spirit."
·       Philip was the youngest in the class but clever ...I will certainly miss him but he will always be in my memory as part of the famous or infamous 1953 Junior Class...  Philip lived his life with regard to the needs of others and that is a life well lived."
·    “Philip also expressed joy in the company and service of his friends. His service to others is what set him apart. It was genuine and unrestrained. Even in his last days he was concerned to organise for the benefit of others.”
··   "Both of you have led very busy and involved lives but always within the embracing of as small an ecological footprint as possible. There's been the richness of living surrounded by natural materials, books, culture, music, creativity, art and sharing your lives with and for others.... I hope you can draw strength from happy memories especially those in nature and from others' appreciation for all your contributions.”

     “We have not known Philip for many years, but we do know what a keen supporter of many good causes he has been, and what a devoted family man he was."

 ··    I admired and respected Philip. Besides our shared interest in products of Peugeot SA,  I will miss our occasional conversations over many years where we discussed our different takes on the changing landscape of the of the information age.    I'm essentially a geek and  I treasured Philips's perspective because he was so down to earth and practical in the use of technology. " 

· ·   "We will miss Philip’s strength and enthusiasm (for mental health reform) and we will have to push on in his memory.

  ·  "I will remember him for his happy disposition, kind heart, patient soul and non-judgmental attitude."

 ·   "While few of our present (Friends of Mt Painter) members knew Philip, we do know of the enormous contribution he made in establishing our group and campaigning for and working on the reserve." 

  ·  "He was always cheerful and kind, ready to help with any difficulty, whether relating to a computer or a need for physical assistance...I also enjoyed the intellectual stimulation of talking with him; he had a thoughtful view on most issues."

 ··  "It was in 2003 that I again met Philip,during a reunion of our year at
      Saint Augustine's College in Cairns, after a period of 46 years when we
had lost contact.  I consider it a blessing that I was reunited with Philip, and we enjoyed recalling old times and the paths we each had taken.."


· ·  "I'll miss Philip's kind, gentle, lilting voice - "Ill go and get Maureen" - when I phoned."

· ·  "The 'Philip Bulletins clearly show Philip will be missed by many beyond his family and close friends."

· ·  "Philip will be sorely missed. He was a good and tireless advocate for Mental Health and left a great legacy."

· · " I realise now that it was Philip working with (name) at the ABS. I was a client of their expertise with Monthly Labour Force Surveys. Philip was also so polite and gentle in his demeanour. Recently, with the Non-Geeks group, his efforts were outstanding. I and we will miss the care and good efforts of Philip."

· ·  "Philip will be missed by al of those who have had the privilege of knowing him and been touched by his boundless energy and integrity."

· ·  "Philip was a frequent and respected member of our (Coffee'n'Chat computer) group and will be sorely missed."

     "I thank you, Philip, for all your hard work and tireless effort over many years,... taking on the systemic problems and issues that threaten the rights and well-being of people with mental health problems."

     "I remember Philip as a gentle, kind, loving, unassuming and non-judgemental man. He was always interested in what we had to say and I felt a great fondness towards him."

      "He certainly made a great contribution to his special organisations in the community during his life time, a life well lived by a good and gentle man."

No comments:

Post a Comment